Education Programs: Workshops for Professional Artists
HTY and the other members of the ARTS FIRST Partners present workshops to train teaching artists, from emerging to master teaching artists.
A list of workshops for this season will be posted soon.
HTY is honored to have a long history of collaboration with professional actors and artists in our community and abroad. As a way of expanding our service to the theatrical community in Hawaii, we plan to hold a series of workshops over the coming years exploring topics that will improve the artistry and build connections between theatrical and non-theatrical collaborators.
If you would like to be put on a list to receive information about upcoming workshops, readings, and auditions at HTY please email HTY Artistic Director, Eric Johnson at artistic@HTYweb.org
HTY is committed to the support and development of new works, especially works focused on our unique geographic and cultural identity. There is a long history of supporting local writers and bringing in national and international collaborators interested in developing works that speak to our audience. If you are interested in submitting your work or being a part of this process we encourage you to get in touch. But please keep these things in mind...
1) HTY is committed to work that targets a specific age range. Either preschool, lower elementary (grades K-3), upper elementary (grades 4-6) or middle and high school audiences. Giving some thought as to who your intended audience is, is very helpful to us.
2) All of our shows must run under an hour (although we have worked with many writers to create a shortened version of their work).
3) The normal cast size for an HTY show is under 5.
4) Although we are small, we are ambitious and produce a large variety of types of work, from musicals to Asian influenced work to classics.
5) Whenever possible we work on programming several years in advance (especially with new works).
6) A great way to get to know us is to see our work or at least check out what we have produced in the past (link to archives)
Writers are invited to send inquiry letters directly to HTY's Artistic Director, Eric Johnson at artistic@HTYweb.org, or mail materials to:
Honolulu Theatr for Youth
1149 Bethel St.
Because of the large quantity of work we receive, we greatly appreciate your patience in awaiting a response.